It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.
The living room is an important part of the house. It is in the most part the nucleus of the home which is where the tenants will enjoy some down or ‘me’ time of the day. Hence, the design of the living room makes is extremely crucial as it could create the right mood and mindset for you.
What does the living room mean?
The living room basically means your safe haven. This is often the phrase used by some of the top interior designers when they think about what the ambiance to create for your living room. The bedroom is made for resting, but the living room is where you wind down and is the place where you feel safe. That is where you let your guards down and perhaps not want to think anymore for the day. A place to watch television or read a book or just enjoy the music and ambiance. That is where it is most important that you have the right outlook and design for this vital space.
Furniture that excites
Many people design their living room with the most expensive furniture. They put in classic and palace-type of seats. While they look very enticing and glamorous, they might not be comfortable. Always look for a couch which pulls you in whenever you see it. Don’t go for one which is cocky with sharp edges. A leather-wrapped couch might look comfortable but produces squeaks when you move around. You might not appreciate that at all. Meanwhile, textile-wrapped couches could be good but that is if you are fine with having to clean them once every few months.
Those who have the luxury of space could afford an AV room in the home but you could actually install such equipment into your living room. In fact, with the right expertise and advice, you can create very good acoustics for maximum enjoyment. In the past, cables are concealed within the walls but modern technology has now gone wireless. This means you can place your audio speakers at locations that are non-obtrusive to you. Meanwhile, the television must be wall-mounted. This makes it easier to place items and maneuver around that space as well. Remember that the AV equipment is supposed to increase your enjoyment and entertainment atmosphere here. So they should be:
- Carefully and correctly placed – Get a professional to help you design this.
- Non-obtrusive – Should be well placed.
- Durable and up to standard – Getting branded ones would do the trick. Try not to buy sub-standard equipment which could compromise on sound and visual quality
Art and Decorative items
Erican Paris, one of the top interior designers from Europe has a rule of thumb. Never put a painting on your living room because of its reputation. You can have a Picasso but that will not make any difference when you are using the living room for relaxation. Decorative items are there for a reason. For you to look at and feel good about it.
- Your living room is NOT an art gallery. There is absolutely no reason to put expensive paintings for your guests to stare at.
- Buy prints or any decorative items that suit your taste. Your guests might not like it but that would be their problem. As long as you think it is nice, you can hang it on the wall.
- Photo frames, flower vases, sculptures are nice but they should be placed moderately. Do not OVERKILL by placing too many of these items on the coffee table. The same concept applies. Put items that only suit your taste.
Let lose yourself in your living room
This is the best piece of advice anyone can give you. When you are in your living room, you should be totally at east with yourself. Never design your living room to be TOO PRECIOUS or EXPENSIVE. When you need to be careful where you walk or sleep in your living room, then the design is absolutely wrong. You should be able to walk around naked and just lie down anywhere you like in your living room. PERIOD!